Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Once More with Feeling


Think of the vision of PK hitting himself in the head numerous times.  So I bought ANOTHER QR 1720 loco over the weekend whilst up running trains at the Bundaberg Model Train Show.  So I now have three  Oh, and the so called mate that I did the last install for?....  he bought another, so guess who gets to do the sound decoder install, AGAIN....

Anywho, for my own install, I had a spare decoder kicking around - an ESU 58820 - LokSound v5 Micro of course, with the 8 pin plug, so just the jobbie for the loco.


I also has a spare 11mm x 15mm Sugar Cube speaker.  This one came as a pair of them from Auscision (part AM11679), so a snip with the cutters and one of them headed to the workbench.


I also had a bunch of leftover baffle bits and pieces from previous ESU 50321 speaker installs.


So I selected the skinny and medium thickness sides and one of the double bottoms.


I super-glued (thick plastic ZAP) the lid onto the larger baffle box and left the shallow one for the sugar cube to go on.  This should give a slightly larger sound box than I normally have in these 1720's.


Then I carefully applied some normal old PVA white glue along the edges ready for acceptance of the actual speaker.



The speaker was placed onto this white glue and left to dry for a few hours. Well, overnight actually.


Whilst the glue dried I attached a spare Sugar Cube speaker to the decoder and plugged it into the ESU test rig and fired up the ESU Programmer software. From there, I pushed the correct v5 Sound file to the decoder for the Queensland Rail 1720 class loco and tweaked a few settings.  I also then tested it under JMRI with my SPROG II gadget.  All proved well as one would like it to be.


Next I used a small Sellotape "Sticky Dot" - a gummy type of double sided thingie whatsit that is very thin.


The bottom of the fuel tank was then snapped back in place - juuuust fitted :-)


A piece of  normal Sellotape double sided tape was then used to put the decoder up into the rear of the loco shell.


Wires were tidied and the shell went back on... carefully...

A test run and she was done - another successful installation - phew !


 

No comments:

Post a Comment