Monday, March 8, 2021

Because a Friend Needs It

So in February last year I installed a replacement sound decoder in one of my Wuiske brand HOn3½ scale  QR 1720 locos.  Why?  Because I broke, busted, destroyed, kaputted the original decoder when trying to install it. I am writing this now as a mate of mine will need to install a sound decoder in his since he just bought one of these locos.  Who's betting that the schmuck will end up installing the decoder - that schmuck being moi!



The new ESU v5 Micro sound decoder (the ESU 58810) comes with an 8 pin plug that uses a nice THIN flat strap for a connection - fits easier in the tight headroom of my QR1741D. A Sugar Cube speaker comes with it and is only 15 x 11mm and it fits nicely in the fuel tank and makes a whooping great noise.


The sugarcube speaker protruded just less than a millimetre through the fuel tank - so no problems at all, you cant even see it when it's on the track and it is safely above track level.



A small bit of double sided tape holds the decoder to the roof of the loco shell.



The 8 pin plug just goes straight into the main board of the loco without any problems,



For the speaker, I just cut a hole in the bottom of the fuel tank, a really neat and exact fitting hole in fact, and the speaker just sits in happily and goes nowhere.  A spot of glue could be used if a sloppy fit I suppose.



And that was pretty much it.  The little beastie makes a good noise and sounds beaut running around.


Oh, noise !!  Of course....  I forgot - the sound file.  Adam of Wuiske fame, gave me the v5 sound file for the 1720 back then when I asked him - see, he's not a bad bloke - hehehe.


So I have an ESU programmer and was then able to push the sound file into the decoder and the loco lives happily ever after.


Hopefully the QR DH locos will be as easy - hey Adam ? !!

1 comment: