Thursday, August 12, 2021

Do you want a Little Baggie of Something?

Whilst gasbagging on various video chat rooms for model trains I can get a lot done since I am sitting in my modelling garage at the time.  


The last few nights I decided to get ahead of the game and prep some PCB based Railway Ties (Sleepers out here) so they are ready for when I need them with my Fast Tracks Point making Fixtures. So I got out my FatMax  Wire Cutters and started in on the job.  First I cut the copper clad fiberglass strips from their frame they come on and built up a stock of sticks.


I ended up with a nice supply to start the job on hand off.


Next I needed to mark where to cut each piece so as to fit the relevant point making jig. So my machinists scribe with its hardened point got the job.  I placed each tie into the jig/fixture and marked where to cut it.

Then the FatMax got the job done of cutting along the marked line to make each tie the required length for its position in the jig.  I was making sets of sleepers (ties) for about 5 different jigs.


So I started to build up a pile of shorter PCB sticks. 


A bit of filing on my file of the rough ends that the cutting left.


Then to test each one in their proper place in the fixture to make sure I got the cut right.


Then to cut the relevant gaps in the copper surface so that the sleeper does not pass electricity from one rail to the other when assembled. A small triagular file comes in handy for this with a push in one direction, a pull in the other and job done.  Nice groove cut through the copper layer and into the fibreglass layer.




Then with my small flat file I gave the sleeper a light file over all surfaces to get rid of any dags.  Please note I didn't have to worry about Scooter being around, as this is a dag free area.

Each of the edges got a file to make sure nothing was dangling about the place.


The sleepers were then placed into the jig to make sure they were all done and correct


Then they were added to a plastic baggie and a label/note thrown in so I knew which point making fixture they were for.  This saves a bit of time when I need to make a point. Next I'll probably cut a range of track rail to size and shape, bend and file them to suit and put them in baggies for later. 

Hopefully in the end I might have some in stock for when I do need a point to be made, and all the bits are just ready to assemble.

No comments:

Post a Comment