Monday, April 25, 2022

I Ran Out of Alligators on Sticks

So I started doing just a couple of HO scale 44 gallon drums for my African 4WD Diorama.  I am using the Tichy Train Group drums as they are a very nicely molded drum and good value.  I also happen to have two or three packs of 96 drums kicking about :-)

Anyway, as per usual, the 3 drums have now become more.  I still only need 3 drums, but hey, while I am at it...  So I thought I'd just made a few dozen up for stock.

So I grabbed a box of drum kits and cut off a number from the sprues and put their lids on. The lids are designed to just clip in - so nice and easy.

So I have found that if you make a very tiny drill hole in the bottom of the drum, which you will never see since the drum sits on its bottom or you face it away from normal view, then you can screw a very tiny self tapper screw into it and use that to hold the drum while painting it.  So the pin vice with a suitable drill bit went to work and then the screw driver with the relevant self tapers.

So I already had some painting "sticks" I bought online somewhere a while back, but only had a dozen.  So I did up some blue drums first - here's the first coat and them on their "sticks".  Alligator clips on a steel skewer. 

Just getting into the swing of things and... oh... oops... I have no more "sticks"... rats.

Hang on, don't I have somewhere a pile of Alligator Clips for my electronics cables?  I'm sure I ordered a pile years back because they were cheap ad had a bunch left over.

Yep, found them. So there are plenty to spare, so I grabbed 20 and pulled the plastic off, leaving me with the bit I needed.




Good, so now I needed something strong and thin to put them on.  I have suitable spring steel wire, but that's too much effort and not needed.  I know, I have a pile of bamboo BBQ skewers I use for resting painted model bits on - way more than I need as per usual.  They'll do nicely.  In fact I did a bit of looking on eBay and found you can buy exactly what I am making with the bamboo skewers.  So I am on the right track.


So with a small pair of pliers I crimped the Alligator clips onto the skewers.


Bundle now completed and ready for some more drums to be added so I can paint some more.


And, they will do exacly the same job as the ones I purchased (on the left) :-)  


Now where's that paint thinner and brush got to?

1 comment: