Monday, August 5, 2024

And it Continues to Grow

 Over the last month I managed to pretty much finish the benchwork around the walls. The XPS Foam is yet to be glued on, but that is one of the last jobs - wiring and such first. Then I had to rearrange the contents of the shed a bit to give some more room at the head end.



I have found that the 1.2m mobile scaffolding unit I have, which was actually purchased many many moons ago for me to use when sheeting the walls - yeh, that never happened, as I got a professional to do the walls so they were done right!  Anywho, that scaffolding of mine makes a really great mobile wood and steel storage unit for my current building materials for the layout :-)


So with a bit of space made for construction, I began the small peninsula.  This is the smallest one and has had a few iterations after discussions with the fellas. So far I have been able to build the rectangular framing for all three decks and get them screwed into position.  The lollipop end of the penisula has yet to be built - a few ideas mulling around in the old scone for that. So just a corflute semicircle sits giving the idea of the end of the peninsula.


So that gets us to yesterday.  Today I decided to get the curved bits done where the peninsula joins the wall units.  Fiddly, but worth it in the end run.  I think I will be using masonite to act as the facia for the decks, so it needs some places to screw into aroud these joins.  So offcuts of the timbers I use for the decks comes in handy - waste not, want not.

So we  start with a corner.


Get our template for the relevant size curve out and see if it works. For the middle deck I think a 40cm radius should work.  The bottom deck will get 50cm radius.


For the 40cm, I think just one piece of timber at 45 degrees should suffice.


So I get a scrap piece of wood and clamp under the deck to temporarily hold the chunk of wood in place that I have cut for the job.


I then marked out on the frame where the new wood would go and then drilled the relevant screw holes.


The trusty screw driver was then used and in went the screws.


Now, on the bottom deck since it was a 50cm radius, I needed more support timbers for the curve. So more cutting and shaping and you get three pieces of wood making the curve.


The other side was done next and by then it was tools down for the day.


I'll think of something to do tomorrow.  Maybe hunt down a welder...  as I am thinking that the ends of the peninsula might be made from 20 x 20 x 1.6 mm steel tube welded up like this and then bolted to a big 35x70 or 35x90mm verticle chunk of wood.


By for now.


1 comment:

  1. Love seeing your layout framework coming together. Rather inspiring.

    ReplyDelete